Sunday, December 19, 2010

Breeding Ethics

December 19, 2010: For those who are interested in breeding ethics, I have written a short blurb. In order to breed any dog, the dogs must be Kennel Club registered, rigorous health testing must be performed first, temperaments must be evaluated, the dogs must meet the breed standards and the dam and stud dog must be carefully researched and selected.

I volunteered for the Humane Society Yukon for several years as a foster home, kennel attendant and director. Overpopulation and stray and homeless dogs are an extreme problem and an issue that shouldn't be taken lightly. I also feel strongly about the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever breed. Tollers are the perfect dog in my opinion and were developed right here in Canada. It is my hope that the breed is protected and improved upon which can only be done through an ethically sound breeding program.

The amount of work, time, energy and money poured into these dogs is phenomenal. I am afraid to actually calculate the time and money spent on puppy, obedience, agility and handling classes, health testing, show premiums, travel expenses and breeding expenses. But breeding a litter of puppies with the hopes of improving the breed standard is certainly rewarding. Although I have been involved in training and showing dogs for a long time, this is my first litter of puppies and I am very happy with the experience and the expected quality of this litter. Breeding dogs ethically is no easy task!!! I have great mentors within the breed who have helped and educated me along the way. Thank you all very very much!!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment